ADVICE // 6 WAYS TO IMPROVE YOUR EYE HEALTH
Here are some helpful tips on how to look after your vision and improve your eye health.
1. Feed your eyes
It's important to eat a balanced diet to ensure your body gets the nutrients it needs. Omega 3, lutein, zinc, and vitamins C and E have been known to help reduce visual issues such as macular degeneration and cataracts. Ensure you eat lots of leafy green vegetables, proteins such as eggs and oily fish, beans and other non-meat proteins and citrus fruits such as oranges and grapefruits.
2. Enhance your UV protection
Wearing sunglasses helps to protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. Opt for sunglasses that protect you 100% against UVA/UVB such as Transitions, Photochromic or NuPolar lenses.
3. Protect during screen time
How long do you spend staring at a screen? Some studies have shown that almost 60% of us spend on average 6 hours or more per day on digital devices and there are increasing claims that too much exposure to the artificial blue light emitted from such devices can upset our bodies natural clock. This can often be amplified when using devices at night or under low light conditions when the artificial blue light is amplified. Our Blue Shield coating blocks 99.75% of UV light at 410nm and absorbs up to 19.8% of Blue light for a 1.67 stock lens and 18.7% of blue light for a 1.6 stock lens between 380-500nm.
4. Visit your opticians regularly
It’s important to visit your optician at least once every two years. During your eye test, you’ll find out if glasses will improve your vision and be tested for medical eye problems or conditions. Many people can get a free NHS eye test – contact your optician to see if you qualify.
5. Stop smoking
The RNIB suggested that smoking doubles your chances of losing your sight. Smoking damages the tissues in the eye and can increase the risk of developing conditions such as uveitis, cataracts, and age-related macular degeneration.
6. Stay safe
DIY is often a recipe for accidents! Make sure you wear safety goggles when you’re doing anything that creates dust particles or debris.
- "6 Tips for Eye Health and Maintaining Good Eyesight." WebMD. Accessed November 9, 2017.
- "Healthy Eyes Infographic | ABDO." ABDO. Accessed November 9, 2017.
- "8 Ways to Protect Your Eyesight." All About Vision. Accessed November 9, 2017.
- "Smoking and Sight Loss." RNIB - Supporting People with Sight Loss. Last modified February 19, 2014.
- "Safe Eyes." RNIB - Supporting People with Sight Loss. Last modified February 19, 2014.
- "Blue Light Exposed." Accessed November 9, 2017.